This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marae is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focused on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
The correct way, custom, procedure, of doing things
Welcoming ceremony on a marae
Local people connected to the marae either through assoction or by genealogy
Visitors to a Marae
Home base on a marae, Rights and Obligations
Family connection, Belonging, Relationship
Care for someones well being, Respect given to elders
Love, Respect, Giving, Hospitality, Concern
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is... What they do in the marae? Do you have to ask to go to a marae, or do you just go?